- Who is the “team contact?”
- The team contact is the institutional representative willing to lead the “prevention” team. He/she can be an athletics administrator, student affairs officer, coach, faculty member, etc. A student may not serve as a team contact.
- What is the “prevention” team?
- The “prevention” team is a group of individuals from the institution who will participate in the APPLE Training Institute and develop their athletics department’s substance abuse strategic plan.
- Who is on the “prevention” team?
- Four to six individuals – at least two must be student-athletes. Administrator representation is not limited to individuals working within the athletics department.
- What are the requirements for student-athlete attendees?
- There are no set requirements but we strongly encourage teams to bring a diverse group of student-athletes. We also encourage teams to not bring student-athletes graduating in the spring since they will be unable to continue implementing the action plan created at APPLE.
- What are the costs to attend APPLE?
- $400 registration fee – covers a team of 4-6 individuals
- Travel to and from the Training Institute
- What is included in the registration fee?
- Shared double occupancy hotel rooms on Friday and Saturday night.
- Meals beginning with the Friday dinner through Sunday breakfast
- Training Institute materials
- My team is registered but I cannot find the link to register myself for APPLE.
- Team contacts were sent the link via email for the individual registration form.
- Can I sign up my school if we are not an NCAA member institution?
- No, only NCAA member schools may attend APPLE
- Do I have to attend with a team or can I come alone?
- Participants must be part of a team of 4-6 individuals from a NCAA member school.
- How do I reserve my hotel room?
- APPLE staff make all hotel reservations for Training Institute participants. Please do not contact the hotel directly.
- What if I do not have a roommate?
- Participants without a roommate will be pair with other participants with the same role (student-athlete or administrator) and sex.
- Can I get a single room?
- Single rooms are available for an additional cost and due at the time of online registration to APPLE. A limited number of single rooms are available.
- What meals are provided at APPLE?
- Friday dinner through Sunday breakfast. All meals are served buffet style and are designed to accommodate a variety of needs. Please indicate on your registration form if you have any specific dietary needs or allergies.
- Are there any snacks?
- APPLE provides a snack break on Saturday afternoon.
- Why do I need to provide a credit card when checking in at the hotel?
- APPLE covers the cost of hotel rooms and meals. However, each participant is required to provide a credit card upon arrival at the hotel front desk to cover incidentals. No charges will be made unless costs are incurred (room service, movies, etc.). Please bring a card or make sure someone can provide one for you.
- Who has to check-in with the APPLE staff? Can just the team contact check-in for the team?
- All APPLE participants must check-in with the APPLE staff. Upon arrival, everyone will receive a brief pre-test and then receive their APPLE giveaways.
- What time is check-in for APPLE?
- APPLE check-in is from 1:30-4:00 PM. Please allow enough time to check-in your team with APPLE staff prior to the 4:00 PM session start time.
- What do I wear?
- Bring casual dress for the APPLE Training Institute. Khakis and jeans are appropriate attire. Keep in mind that you will be sitting during team meetings and most presentations, so make sure that you will be comfortable. Hotel conference rooms tend to be cooler than normal, so a sweatshirt or sweater is always a good idea. Of course, we encourage you to show off your school spirit by wearing your campus logo! The hotel also has an indoor pool, so feel free to pack a swimsuit.
- Why are you called APPLE?
- Back in 1991, we were the Athletic Prevention Programming & Leadership Education Conference. Over the years we stopped using the full name but kept APPLE.
- Who can I contact if I have more questions/concerns?
- Holly Deering, Associate Director, firstname.lastname@example.org or 434.982.1814