To assist schools in promoting student-athlete health and wellness by empowering teams of student-athletes and administrators to create and implement an institution-specific action plan.
The APPLE Training Institute allows campuses to:
• Assess the athletics department’s strengths and weaknesses in substance misuse prevention.
• Share ideas and resources with other campuses.
• Learn about exemplary policies and initiatives including Student-Athlete Mentors (SAMs).
• Listen to exciting speakers and experts.
• Return to campus with an individualized plan for implementing change in one prevention area.
Participants report that the APPLE Training Institute:
• Improved relationships between administrators and student-athletes.
• Increased their ability to impact substance misuse problems.
• Increased student ability to confront teammates.
• Increased student leadership skills.
• Increased knowledge of alcohol, tobacco and other drug (ATOD) issues for student-athletes.
• Increased knowledge of effective ATOD prevention programs, including peer education.
• Helped them create a clearly defined, measurable action plan.