Friday, January 19, 2018
8:30 AM – 2:00 PM
Doubletree Hotel ● Charlottesville, VA
available only for Campuses & participants registered for the Charlottesville, VA Training Institute
Step UP! is an award-winning bystander intervention training program that teaches students how to intervene in problematic situations. The program contains support materials to address a wide-range of issues including academic integrity, alcohol abuse, anger, depression, discrimination, disordered eating, gambling, hazing, relationship abuse and sexual assault.
This intensive training held prior to the APPLE Training Institute will show attendees how to create a sustainable and powerful bystander intervention program on their campus.
The goals of Step UP! are to:
• Raise awareness of helping behaviors
• Increase motivation to help
• Develop skills and confidence when responding to problems or concerns
• Ensure the safety and well-being of self and others
Step UP! was developed by the University of Arizona in collaboration with the National Collegiate Athletics Association, the BACCHUS Initiatives of NASPA and the Gordie Center for Substance Abuse Prevention at the University of Virginia.
Attendees at the Step UP! Facilitator Training will learn to:
- Learn the Five Decision Making Steps needed to enact bystander intervention
- Address the barriers to helping and teach skills and strategies for effective intervention
- Apply the skills to real-life scenarios
- Facilitate Step UP! group training
Registration Fee: $100/school – At least 2 APPLE team members required to attend - Includes the following for 2-6 participants:
- Hotel room for Thursday night (double occupancy – single room additional $55/person)
- Continental breakfast & lunch
- Training materials
Registration deadline is November 15, 2017, unless maximum enrollment is reached prior to that date. Limited space available. Link for registration was provided to VA team contacts.